Job Title Architectural Technician / Technologist
Role Type Permanent full time
Job Location Billingshurst, West Sussex
Reports to Head of Detailed Design
Thakeham is an infrastructure-led community creator and strategic land promoter and proud winner of a Sunday Times 100 Best Small Companies to Work For.
The business is committed to partnerships, innovation and creating amazing places to live and work. Thakeham is a leader in the industry on sustainability and biodiversity. We are at the forefront of delivering sustainable homes, committed to ensuring every Thakeham home is carbon-neutral in production, and carbon-zero throughout its lifetime use by 2025. These core values underpin the company-wide mission to affect communities in a positive way
Thakeham was launched in 2003. From day one, the company was driven by a clear vision: to transform the way people think about new-built developments. Today, Thakeham employs just over 200 people with a turnover of over £105m.
People are Thakeham’s most important asset. Thakeham operates a thriving graduate recruitment programme and supports the Movement to Work initiative to help young people secure work. Thakeham has signed the HBF Mental Health Charter and recently organised a health and wellbeing programme during Lockdown.
A Silver Armed Forces Covenant signatory and supporter of armed force’s charity Mission Motorsport, Thakeham operates a Talent for Development outreach campaign for military veterans and college leavers.
Away from work, Thakeham offers a range of staff events including quiz nights and participates in charity challenges including dragon boat racing.
We pride ourselves on our ‘Infrastructure first’ approach, ensuring communities release the benefits of new development at the outset, rather than later on in the process. Thakeham strive to not just create new homes, but genuinely amazing places to live, work and play. Thakeham delivers social, affordable and retirement housing for some of the biggest housing associations and local authorities in the country. Partners include the NHS England Healthy New Towns Initiative, the Plunkett Foundation, Social Value UK and have been awarded a prestigious Gold Supply Chain School.
Offering exciting career opportunities that are second to none, we are keen to develop, guide and support our employees throughout their careers. Our people enjoy excellent rewards and working conditions in an exciting and fast growing business.
The drawings team provide detailed architectural construction drawings and associated information from the approved planning drawings to enable full procurement and construction of residential developments of varying sizes in accordance with project programmes.
The Job Role
The successful Architectural Technician/Technologist will:
- Produce detailed working drawings including plans, sections, elevations, details etc.
- Produce, develop and review specifications, schedules of accommodation, design risk assessments and other relevant documents
- Liaise with and input relevant information from other consultants and suppliers
- Ensure the timely provision of production information to the project team
- Review technical information for best value engineered solutions and compliance with the specification and current standards
- Liaise with Building Control body to achieve Building Control Approval
- Liaise with specialist suppliers and comment on their designs to ensure fully co-ordinated and specification compliant information
- Liaise with site staff and attend site when required to provide suitable detailed responses to site queries
- Liaise with other Thakeham internal departments and regional offices
This list is not exhaustive and the ability to be flexible and undertake such other duties as they arise to ensure a successful conclusion of project design work will be a key skill of the Architectural Technician/Technologist.
Tasks will be allocated to reflect increasing levels of development and experience.
The Required Skills
- Proficient in the use of Revit & Autocad
- Knowledge of general residential construction methods
- Knowledge of modern methods of construction (MMC) would be advantageous
- Knowledge of UK Building Regulations and NHBC Standards
- Good IT skills with competency at Microsoft Office/Excel/Teams
- Knowledge and use of Microsoft Sharepoint would be advantageous
- Knowledge of Autodesk Docs, BIM Collaborate, Take Off & Build software programs would be advantageous
- Suitably qualified to relevant HNC, HND or Degree level
- An ability to deliver the highest standards of service
- An ability to achieve against demanding time and quality targets
- Excellent literacy and numeracy skills
- A willingness to attend training courses and to develop relevant knowledge, techniques and skills
- To have good spoken and written communication skills
- To be methodical, pay attention to detail and be accurate
- To be good at working with people at all levels and willing to work in a team
- To be self-motivated with ability to work on own initiative
- To be willing to accept responsibility for completing designated tasks to required timescales
- To hold a full driving licence
- To be a good problem solver
- A background of working for a residential developer or architectural practice would be advantageous for this role
- Competitive salary
- Annual holiday allowance 26 days increasing to 27 after 3yrs service and 28 after 5yrs service (plus Bank Holidays)
- Life assurance
- Private medical insurance
- Generous pension scheme
- Bonus scheme
- Flexible working hours in a modern office environment / Working from Home Policy
- Excellent development and progression opportunities for the right candidate
- Company social events
Plus a whole range of other employee benefits that we can tell you all about. Our employees are rewarded for their performance, attitude and results.
Thakeham is committed to providing equal opportunities in employment and treating people fairly. We will treat all job applicants and employees equally regardless of age, race, religious belief, colour, ethnic or national origin, sex, marital status, sexual orientation or disability. We welcome applicants from all sectors of society and we are committed to promoting an inclusive environment for all.