From day one, we have been driven by a clear vision: to transform the way people think about new-build developments.
Over 20 years later, that ethos is still very much alive, reflected in our numerous awards and enviable reputation in the sector. Today, we employ close to 250 people and has a forecasted revenue of £219 million in 2023/24.
An infrastructure-led community creator and strategic land promoter, we are committed to partnerships, innovation and creating amazing places to live and work. We are industry-leading in sustainability and biodiversity, and all our homes will be net zero carbon by 2025.
We pride ourselves on our ‘infrastructure first’ approach, ensuring communities release the benefits of new development at the outset, rather than later in the process. We deliver social, affordable and retirement housing for a wide range of housing associations and local authorities.
People are our most important asset, and this is reflected in the way we operate. We were recognised in the prestigious ‘Best Places to Work 2023’ and are listed in the Top 100 Best Large Companies to Work For 2023.
Our people enjoy excellent rewards and working conditions in an exciting and growing business. We offer exciting career opportunities, and are keen to develop, guide and support our employees, regardless of what stage they are in their careers. We value diversity and encourage people to bring their full authentic selves to work. A Gold Armed Forces Covenant signatory and supporter of armed force’s charity Building Heroes, we operate a Talent for Development outreach campaign for military veterans and college leavers.
Work and fun should not be mutually exclusive and we offer a range of social events including quiz nights, BBQs and all staff parties. We run informal lunch and learns and take on charity challenges such as dragon boat racing. We encourage people to volunteer in their communities, offering two paid days per year to do so. Where roles allow, our summer hours policy in June, July and August allows people to enjoy longer weekends with their loved ones. A flexible approach to working is available all year round.
Join our team and let’s build communities, together.
The construction team ensure that the on-site construction operation is managed suitably well to ensure compliance with build quality, budget and programme and to our customer’s satisfaction.
The role will assist the site manager in managing all site resources including labour, plant and materials as well as on-site health and safety. Under the guidance of the site manager the ASM will also be responsible for managing subcontractors by giving them clear direction and clarifying expectations in all aspects of site delivery.
The successful candidate will;
- Generally assist the site manager as directed and take ownership of matters that they are tasked with
- Specifically they will be tasked with taking units from start of 1st fix trades through to completion which will involve the following:-
- Inspecting units prior to the required NHBC Pre Plaster Stage inspection to ensure compliance with the NHBC Standards
- Arrange the NHBC Pre Plaster Inspection and accompany the inspector during the visit
- Undertaking a pre-decoration snag to units to ensure the highest standards are achieved on the plastering and dry lining
- Call off materials as required
- Undertake the necessary stage inspections documented within the Thakeham Procedures Manual and complete the required checklists to ensure the unit is ready to accept following trades
- Manage the process of commissioning each unit
- Undertake the final snagging inspection of the units and manage the subcontractors to complete the snagging
- Undertake a pre completion inspection to ensure compliance with NHBC Standards
- Arrange the NHBC Final Inspection and accompany the inspector during the visit
- Arrange the final Quality Inspection and accompany the Quality Control Manager on this inspection
- Complete any items found on the final QI Inspection
- Undertake a site safety induction of new site personnel
- Ensure all operatives have the necessary certification to carry out their duties
- Completion of all statutory safety forms on a weekly basis
- Ensure all operations are carried out in compliance with approved method statements
- Undertake frequent inspections of site operations to ensure they are carried out in a safe manner
- Call off site materials in an efficient manner to enable continuity of works on site whilst minimising site wastage
- Reconcile weekly material and plant returns
- Issue clear up notices to subcontractors that do not adhere to our site tidiness expectations
This list is not exhaustive. Tasks will be allocated to reflect increasing levels of development and experience.
The required skills
- An ability to deliver the highest standards of service
- To have experience of working to NHBC Standards
- An ability to achieve against demanding time and quality targets
- Good literacy and numeracy skills
- IT skills with competency in Microsoft Office/Excel
- A willingness to attend training courses and to develop relevant knowledge, techniques and skills
- To have good spoken and written communication skills
- To be methodical, pay attention to detail and be accurate
- To be good at working with people at all levels and willing to work in a team
- To be self-motivated with ability to work on own initiative
- To be willing to accept responsibility for completing designated tasks
- To hold a full driving licence
- Competitive salary
- Car allowance
- Salary sacrifice car scheme
- Annual holiday allowance 26 days increasing to 27 after 3yrs service and 28 after 5yrs service (plus bank holidays)
- Life assurance
- Private medical insurance
- Health screening
- Pension scheme
- Bonus scheme
- Excellent development and progression opportunities for the right candidate
- Company Social events
Plus a whole range of other employee benefits that we can tell you all about, our employees are rewarded for their performance, attitude and results.
We are committed to providing equal opportunities in employment and treating people fairly. We will treat all job applicants and employees equally regardless of age, race, religious belief, colour, ethnic or national origin, sex, marital status, sexual orientation or disability. We welcome applicants from all sectors of society and we are committed to promoting an inclusive environment for all.