Job Title Business Development Manager – Southern Home Counties
Role Type Permanent, Full Time
Job Location Billingshurst, West Sussex
Reports to Regional Managing Director, SHC
Thakeham is an infrastructure-led community creator and strategic land promoter and proud winner of a Sunday Times 100 Best Small Companies to Work For.
The business is committed to partnerships, innovation and creating amazing places to live and work. Thakeham is a leader in the industry on sustainability and biodiversity. We are at the forefront of delivering sustainable homes, committed to ensuring every Thakeham home is carbon-neutral in production, and carbon-zero throughout its lifetime use by 2025. These core values underpin the company-wide mission to affect communities in a positive way
Thakeham was launched in 2003. From day one, the company was driven by a clear vision: to transform the way people think about new-built developments. Today, Thakeham employs close to 200 people with a turnover of over £105m.
People are Thakeham’s most important asset. Thakeham operates a thriving graduate recruitment programme and supports the Movement to Work initiative to help young people secure work. Thakeham has signed the HBF Mental Health Charter and recently organised a health and wellbeing programme during Lockdown.
A Bronze Armed Forces Covenant signatory and supporter of armed force’s charity Mission Motorsport, Thakeham operates a Talent for Development outreach campaign for military veterans and college leavers.
Away from work, Thakeham offers a range of staff events including quiz nights and participates in charity challenges including dragon boat racing.
We pride ourselves on our ‘Infrastructure first’ approach, ensuring communities release the benefits of new development at the outset, rather than later on in the process. Thakeham strive to not just create new homes, but genuinely amazing places to live, work and play. Thakeham delivers social, affordable and retirement housing for some of the biggest housing associations and local authorities in the country. Partners include the NHS England Healthy New Towns Initiative, the Plunkett Foundation, Social Value UK and have been awarded a prestigious Gold Supply Chain School.
Offering exciting career opportunities that are second to none, we are keen to develop, guide and support our employees throughout their careers. Our people enjoy excellent rewards and working conditions in an exciting and fast growing business.
We have a fantastic opportunity for somebody to join our growing region. Our dedicated team works closely with clients to plan, progress, implement and advise on projects to deliver high quality schemes whether this be for affordable housing or market sale
The Job Role
The role holder’s primary responsibilities will be
- Responsible to the Regional Managing Director for Southern Home Counties. Also working alongside the Partnerships Director to deliver the targets set by the Group for the region
- Identify and bring forward new land opportunities that would be of interest to our housing associations and local authority clients
- Sourcing Land opportunities via promotion of the business to direct Land owners, Land agents and existing clients
- Working with the Business Development team to promote to external partners the added value that Thakeham Group offer
- Package up the new opportunities and take these to external partners with the aim to secure competitive land offers that you may take to prospective sellers
- Oversee the land sale through to an exchange of contracts
- Manage database to record all key activity as projects move through key stages and milestones
- Participate in the sale of Thakeham Homes controlled sites to council and housing association partners
- Work with internal stakeholders to agree cost plans that maximise the commercial chances of new projects and work alongside these departments to see a project exchange contracts in the shortest possible timescale
- Overseeing the sale of affordable housing quotas on s106 sites, this will include:
- Seeking offers from RPs
- Overseeing the legal process through to an exchange of contracts
- Manage the process of all new package deal opportunities for Thakeham Partnerships from initial site identification through to exchange of the land
- Participate in writing bid documents to support public sector tenders
- At all opportunities fully explain the Thakeham Partnerships ethos and detail the added value benefits that we can offer
- Represent Thakeham at industry functions and conferences
- Use knowledge of local market and competitors to identify and develop the Company’s unique business proposition and differentiators
- Provide monthly reports to Regional Managing Director as directed
- Provide weekly updates to Regional Managing Director as to progress on target/revenue delivery
This list is not exhaustive. Tasks will be allocated to reflect increasing levels of development and experience.
The Required Skills
- Excellent knowledge of MS Office (Word, Excel & Outlook)
- Excellent communication skills and confidence to liaise with people internally and externally
- Good attention to detail and organisational skills
- Effective time management skills
- Professional approach with high degree of discretion
- Willing to be flexible and get involved with a wide range of tasks
- Ability to work on own initiative and generate solutions
- Good working understanding of the planning system
- Good working understanding of construction contracts and other legal documentation such as title reports and sectional agreements
- The successful applicant will be able to demonstrate a track record in securing new land opportunities and managing these through the an exchange of contracts
- Ideally the applicant will have a business development background in the residential housing sector whether this be for Housing Associations, plc’s or private SME
- Ideally to bring good relationships with Land promoters and agents
- Competitive salary
- Annual holiday allowance 26 days increasing to 27 after 3yrs service and 28 after 5yrs service (plus bank holidays)
- Life assurance
- Private medical insurance
- Health screening
- Pension scheme
- Bonus scheme
- Flexible working hours in a modern office environment / Working from Home Policy
- Excellent development and progression opportunities for the right candidate
- Company social events
Plus, a whole range of other employee benefits that we can tell you all about, our employees are rewarded for their performance, attitude and results.
Thakeham is committed to providing equal opportunities in employment and treating people fairly. We will treat all job applicants and employees equally regardless of age, race, religious belief, colour, ethnic or national origin, sex, marital status, sexual orientation or disability. We welcome applicants from all sectors of society and we are committed to promoting an inclusive environment for all.