From day one, Thakeham has been driven by a clear vision: to transform the way people think about new-built developments.
Over 20 years later, that ethos is still very much alive, reflected in our numerous awards and reputation in the sector. Today, Thakeham employs close to 250 people and has a forecasted revenue of £219 million in 2023/24.
An infrastructure-led community creator and strategic land promoter, Thakeham is committed to partnerships, innovation and creating amazing places to live and work. We are industry-leading in sustainability and biodiversity. Every Thakeham home completion will be Net Zero Carbon by 2025.
We pride ourselves on our ‘Infrastructure first’ approach, ensuring communities release the benefits of new development at the outset, rather than later in the process. We deliver social, affordable and retirement housing for a wide range of housing associations and local authorities.
People are Thakeham’s most important asset, and this is reflected in the way we operate. We were recognised in the prestigious ‘Best Places to Work 2023’ and are listed in the Top 100 Best Large Companies to Work For 2023.
Our people enjoy excellent rewards and working conditions in an exciting and growing business. We offer exciting career opportunities, and are keen to develop, guide and support our employees, regardless of what stage they are in their careers.
We value diversity and encourage people to bring their full authentic selves to work. A Gold Armed Forces Covenant signatory and supporter of armed force’s charity Building Heroes, Thakeham operates a Talent for Development outreach campaign for military veterans and college leavers.
Work and fun should not be mutually exclusive and Thakeham offers a range of social events including quiz nights, BBQs and all staff parties. We run informal lunch and learns and take on charity challenges such as dragon boat racing. We encourage people to volunteer in their communities, offering two paid days per year to do so. Where roles allow, our summer hours policy in June, July and August allows people to enjoy longer weekends with their loved ones. A flexible approach to working is available all year round.
At Thakeham we build communities, together.
The focus of the commercial department is cost management, subcontractor procurement, valuations and variations and maintaining our system and procedures. Due to our continued growth we are looking for a Buyer to work in a newly created role reporting to the Procurement Director.
The successful candidate will;
- Produce electronic and hand drawn take offs of all materials
- Produce site specific material budgets
- Carry out proactive materials procurement on live projects
- Build and maintain relationships with both new and existing suppliers
- Comply with, expand and improve, existing business procurement procedures
- Monitor the flow of material requisitions and ensure authorising protocol is followed
- Produce and process material requisitions and schedules in accordance with documented process
- Interface with key supply chain providers and conduct performance reviews of the services provided
- Monitor and report expenditure to ensure that up to date cost information is available and known to the business
- Liaise with key supply chain providers and visit as necessary
- Negotiate deals, both at local and national level, and agree long term supply chain terms
- Prepare, submit and negotiate tender enquiries and pricing schedules
- Review, and be aware of, new material and building techniques, or any changes in the procurement market
- Fully integrate with the ‘Thakeham’ build team and contribute positively to the implementation and development of company procedures
This list is not exhaustive. Tasks will be allocated to reflect increasing levels of development and experience.
The required skills
- Previous experience of buying in the construction industry is essential
- Very good organisational skills, high attention detail, team player, flexible and experience of a fast paced environment
- Good knowledge of MS Office (Word, Excel & Outlook)
- Previous experience of SharePoint and Coins is desirable
- Effective time management skills
- Be flexible and get involved with a wide range of tasks
- Ability to work on own initiative and generate solutions
- Competitive salary
- Car allowance
- Salary sacrifice car scheme
- Annual holiday allowance 26 days increasing to 27 after 3yrs service and 28 after 5yrs service (plus bank holidays)
- Life assurance
- Private medical insurance
- Health screening
- Pension scheme
- Bonus scheme
- Excellent development and progression opportunities for the right candidate
- Company Social events
Plus a whole range of other employee benefits that we can tell you all about, our employees are rewarded for their performance, attitude and results.
We are committed to providing equal opportunities in employment and treating people fairly. We will treat all job applicants and employees equally regardless of age, race, religious belief, colour, ethnic or national origin, sex, marital status, sexual orientation or disability. We welcome applicants from all sectors of society and we are committed to promoting an inclusive environment for all.