From day one, we have been driven by a clear vision: to transform the way people think about new-build developments.
Over 20 years later, that ethos is still very much alive, reflected in our numerous awards and enviable reputation in the sector. Today, we employ close to 250 people and has a forecasted revenue of £219 million in 2023/24.
An infrastructure-led community creator and strategic land promoter, we are committed to partnerships, innovation and creating amazing places to live and work. We are industry-leading in sustainability and biodiversity, and all our homes will be net zero carbon by 2025.
We pride ourselves on our ‘infrastructure first’ approach, ensuring communities release the benefits of new development at the outset, rather than later in the process. We deliver social, affordable and retirement housing for a wide range of housing associations and local authorities.
People are our most important asset, and this is reflected in the way we operate. We were recognised in the prestigious ‘Best Places to Work 2023’ and are listed in the Top 100 Best Large Companies to Work For 2023.
Our people enjoy excellent rewards and working conditions in an exciting and growing business. We offer exciting career opportunities, and are keen to develop, guide and support our employees, regardless of what stage they are in their careers. We value diversity and encourage people to bring their full authentic selves to work. A Gold Armed Forces Covenant signatory and supporter of armed force’s charity Building Heroes, we operate a Talent for Development outreach campaign for military veterans and college leavers.
Work and fun should not be mutually exclusive and we offer a range of social events including quiz nights, BBQs and all staff parties. We run informal lunch and learns and take on charity challenges such as dragon boat racing. We encourage people to volunteer in their communities, offering two paid days per year to do so. Where roles allow, our summer hours policy in June, July and August allows people to enjoy longer weekends with their loved ones. A flexible approach to working is available all year round.
Join our team and let’s build communities, together.
The Development Management Department is responsible for: securing viable and deliverable planning permissions. Working closely with the internal teams; progressing our portfolio of sites through the promotion phase and securing planning permission to developing the exit strategy for residential-led developments.
We work closely with all departments across the business and across the wider business to innovate solutions and drive projects forward.
Due to growth we are looking for motivated and enthusiastic team member to join our team.
The successful candidate will be working alongside the team to research financial and legal due diligence and ensure that processes and procedures are followed in the promotion of sites and pre-development process to secure planning permission. Training and support will be provided to ensure the successful candidate gets broad exposure to types and sizes of projects to enable their knowledge and expertise to grow. Support will also be given to enable the candidate to work towards RICS chartered membership.
We are looking for a motivated and enthusiastic graduate, with excellent analytical and communication skills.
The primary responsibilities of the Development Graduate will be;
- Assist the internal project team, to take projects forward from the early promotion phase and pre-development stages, through to securing planning permission.
- Compliance with legal obligations of contract and financial viability.
- Assist with ensuring that the project promotion, planning and pre-development programmes are clearly established and complied with.
- Assist with the internal Pre-Plan Process.
- Attending external meetings with external stakeholders, as required taking minutes.
- Assist with developing opportunities and constraints plans to be able to devise development proposals / solutions.
- Assist with project financial appraisals, including cashflows to ensure development viability.
- Assist with S106 legal agreements to ensure scheme deliverability.
- Assist in handing over of projects to the technical / construction teams, post-planning permission, to ensure consistent flow of information through the project life-cycle.
- Aid with land valuation / site purchase, as required.
- Aid with RP sales / site sales / third party land transfers / securing of third party rights, as required.
- Assist with S106 obligations and delivery of on-site facilities, with external stakeholders, to ensure compliance with obligations.
- Attending monthly project review meetings, as required, once the scheme is on-site.
- Comply with all company policies and procedures and to uphold our brand in all company dealings.
- To carry out any other duties consistent with the post that may be required from time to time, at the discretion of the company.
This list is not exhaustive. Tasks will be allocated to reflect increasing levels of development and experience.
The required skills
- Relevant work experience preferable
- Degree qualified in Surveying , Town Planning/Urban Planning or similar course
- Excellent knowledge of MS Office (Word, Excel & Outlook)
- Knowledge and understanding of local government and the planning process in England
- Can-do attitude and able to take the initiative
- Strong communication and organisational skills
- Hardworking, flexible, pro-active team player with the ability to work to tight deadlines
- Strong attention to detail and willingness to learn
- Driving licence and own car for travel (mileage paid)
- Competitive salary
- Salary sacrifice car scheme
- Annual holiday allowance 26 days increasing to 27 after 3yrs service and 28 after 5yrs service (plus bank holidays)
- Life assurance
- Private medical insurance
- Health screening
- Pension scheme
- Bonus scheme
- Flexible working hours in a modern office environment / Working from Home Policy
- Excellent development and progression opportunities for the right candidate
- Company Social events
Plus a whole range of other employee benefits that we can tell you all about, our employees are rewarded for their performance, attitude and results.
We are committed to providing equal opportunities in employment and treating people fairly. We will treat all job applicants and employees equally regardless of age, race, religious belief, colour, ethnic or national origin, sex, marital status, sexual orientation or disability. We welcome applicants from all sectors of society and we are committed to promoting an inclusive environment for all.