Job Title Development Manager
Role Type Permanent full time
Job Location Billingshurst, West Sussex
Reports to Associate Development Director
Thakeham is an infrastructure-led community creator and strategic land promoter and proud winner of a Sunday Times 100 Best Small Companies to Work For.
The business is committed to partnerships, innovation and creating amazing places to live and work. Thakeham is a leader in the industry on sustainability and biodiversity. We are at the forefront of delivering sustainable homes, committed to ensuring every Thakeham home is carbon-neutral in production, and carbon-zero throughout its lifetime use by 2025. These core values underpin the company-wide mission to affect communities in a positive way
Thakeham was launched in 2003. From day one, the company was driven by a clear vision: to transform the way people think about new-built developments. Today, Thakeham employs close to 200 people with a turnover of over £105m.
People are Thakeham’s most important asset. Thakeham operates a thriving graduate recruitment programme and supports the Movement to Work initiative to help young people secure work. Thakeham has signed the HBF Mental Health Charter and recently organised a health and wellbeing programme during Lockdown.
A Bronze Armed Forces Covenant signatory and supporter of armed force’s charity Mission Motorsport, Thakeham operates a Talent for Development outreach campaign for military veterans and college leavers.
Away from work, Thakeham offers a range of staff events including quiz nights and participates in charity challenges including dragon boat racing.
We pride ourselves on our ‘Infrastructure first’ approach, ensuring communities release the benefits of new development at the outset, rather than later on in the process. Thakeham strive to not just create new homes, but genuinely amazing places to live, work and play. Thakeham delivers social, affordable and retirement housing for some of the biggest housing associations and local authorities in the country. Partners include the NHS England Healthy New Towns Initiative, the Plunkett Foundation, Social Value UK and have been awarded a prestigious Gold Supply Chain School.
Offering exciting career opportunities that are second to none, we are keen to develop, guide and support our employees throughout their careers. Our people enjoy excellent rewards and working conditions in an exciting and fast growing business.
The Development Executive department assists the Land Department in securing viable Option Agreements, manages the promotion of land through the planning process and is responsible for the purchase of land and any sale to partners through Joint Ventures or Land/ Development Sale Agreements. The Development Management department is responsible for securing viable and timely consents and ongoing development management once on site.
We are looking for a motivated, self-starting Development Manger to work across the Development Executive and Development Management departments within Thakeham Strategic to provide administrative support to the team.
The Job Role
The purpose of the Development Manager is to assist in the management of Thakeham’s land portfolio; promote Thakeham values whist ensuring the deliverability of schemes and assisting in the maximisation of profit delivered through value creation throughout all steps of the development process.
The successful candidate will
- Ensuring that the Project Programme is clearly established and complied with
- Working with the Land department to undertake legal and technical due diligence is in order prior to exchange on Options
- Leading and co-ordinating the efforts of all internal Thakeham departments in delivering the optimum result for the development
- Employing development management skills to secure deliverable and viable consents
- To identify or generate other commercially viable opportunities within the development
- Assist in ensuring long term management structure is implemented and adhered to on key developments and that Thakeham legacy and vision is safeguarded
- Ensuring developments are consistent with legal obligations
- Securement of third party rights
- Assist in monitoring project profitability, timing of profit contribution and project cash flows and taking corrective action as necessary
- Assisting in the valuation of land and securement of land
- Preparation of internal and external sale packs
- Assisting in the transfer of land internally and sale of land to partners
- Assist in securing exchange of contracts with partners to dispose of identified parcels and ultimately, secure legal completion including managing solicitors and negotiating and securing complete legal verification that the terms of disposal are satisfactory to the company
- To develop and maintain good relationships both internally and externally, to ensure the success of the team and achieve an excellent reputation
- To work with Thakeham to identify sustainable development solutions which will enable the company to differentiate itself in the marketplace
This list is not exhaustive. Tasks will be allocated to reflect increasing levels of development and experience.
The Required Skills
- Sound demonstrable experience of the development process and
- Ability to run development appraisals and cashflows
- Must be able to demonstrate strong commercial acumen and experience of managing the profitability of a range of development projects
- Numerate and ability to negotiate
- Excellent knowledge of MS Office (Word, Excel & Outlook)
- Excellent communication skills and confidence to liaise with people internally and externally
- RICS accreditation whilst not essential would be advantageous
- Must be calm under pressure but have a passion for development
- Competitive salary
- Annual holiday allowance 26 days increasing to 27 after 3yrs service and 28 after 5yrs service (plus bank holidays)
- Life assurance
- Private medical insurance
- Pension scheme
- Bonus scheme
Plus a whole range of other employee benefits that we can tell you all about, our employees are rewarded for their performance, attitude and results.
Thakeham is committed to providing equal opportunities in employment and treating people fairly. We will treat all job applicants and employees equally regardless of age, race, religious belief, colour, ethnic or national origin, sex, marital status, sexual orientation or disability. We welcome applicants from all sectors of society and we are committed to promoting an inclusive environment for all.