Job Title Engineering Manager
Role Type Permanent, full time
Job Location Southern Home Counties, Billingshurst
Reports to Regional Director
Thakeham is an infrastructure-led community creator and strategic land promoter and proud winner of a Sunday Times 100 Best Small Companies to Work For.
The business is committed to partnerships, innovation and creating amazing places to live and work. Thakeham is a leader in the industry on sustainability and biodiversity. We are at the forefront of delivering sustainable homes, committed to ensuring every Thakeham home is carbon-neutral in production, and carbon-zero throughout its lifetime use by 2025. These core values underpin the company-wide mission to affect communities in a positive way
Thakeham was launched in 2003. From day one, the company was driven by a clear vision: to transform the way people think about new-built developments. Today, Thakeham employs close to 200 people with a turnover of over £105m.
People are Thakeham’s most important asset. Thakeham operates a thriving graduate recruitment programme and supports the Movement to Work initiative to help young people secure work. Thakeham has signed the HBF Mental Health Charter and recently organised a health and wellbeing programme during Lockdown.
A Bronze Armed Forces Covenant signatory and supporter of armed force’s charity Mission Motorsport, Thakeham operates a Talent for Development outreach campaign for military veterans and college leavers.
Away from work, Thakeham offers a range of staff events including quiz nights and participates in charity challenges including dragon boat racing.
We pride ourselves on our ‘Infrastructure first’ approach, ensuring communities release the benefits of new development at the outset, rather than later on in the process. Thakeham strive to not just create new homes, but genuinely amazing places to live, work and play. Thakeham delivers social, affordable and retirement housing for some of the biggest housing associations and local authorities in the country. Partners include the NHS England Healthy New Towns Initiative, the Plunkett Foundation, Social Value UK and have been awarded a prestigious Gold Supply Chain School.
Offering exciting career opportunities that are second to none, we are keen to develop, guide and support our employees throughout their careers. Our people enjoy excellent rewards and working conditions in an exciting and fast growing business.
The Engineering Department co-ordinates and manages the design of the infrastructure elements on a wide range of projects from inception through to delivery. Due to our continued growth, we are looking for an Engineering Manager to work in a newly created role reporting to the Engineering Director and Regional Director.
The Job Role
The role holder’s primary responsibility will be
- Assist in the pre-acquisition engineering investigation and management of consultants on new land opportunities
- Assisting the Planning Department in the appointment of soil investigations, topographical surveys, drainage surveys, speed surveys, safety audits etc and arranging the same for detailed design purposes
- Appointment of external civil engineering consultants for planning and detailed design, and management thereafter including meetings, checking and co-ordinating designs, and ensuring designs are issued on programme
- Managing programmes, costs, fees and budgets including monthly reporting
- Appointing and managing solicitors in the preparation of new agreements, agreeing the covenants contained therein, and checking legal drawings
- Managing Sectional Agreements from strategy, design, submission, approval, engrossments, through to procurement of contractor, implementation on site, subsequent adoptions
- Managing Highway Designs – an understanding of the Highways Act, Traffic Orders, horizontal & vertical geometry and the various sectional agreements is required in undertaking this role
- Managing Drainage Designs – an understanding of the Water Industry Act, the Flood Water Management Act, and Building Regulations is required in undertaking this role
- Managing engineering licences to ensure the necessary approvals are in place prior to works commencing on site. Licences will include S106 Sewer Connections, Ordinary Watercourse Consents, S50 Licences, Crossover Licences etc
- Value engineering consultants designs to bring buildability and commerciality to the business
- Managing consultant’s earthworks design (cut and fill) and presenting the strategy to interested parties within the business
- Co-ordinating designs to suit build programmes and sequence
- To have and maintain a general understanding of utility design and procurement
- Close liaison with commercial team to ensure cost control and assisting with groundwork contractors scope of works and project specific contracts
- Ensuring the company fulfils its obligations under CDM and Health & Safety legislation with regards to engineering
- To attend, and where necessary to chair, internal and external meetings
- Responsibility for maintaining an Engineering Tracker on all developments and providing a monthly update pack on projects
The Required Skills
- Previous experience; Residential development, civil engineering consultancy preferably in the South East
- HNC/HND/CEng in civil engineering
- Working knowledge of AutoCAD and other design software such as PDS, Windes, & Civil 3D
- Working knowledge of current Building Regulations, Design Manuals, and current construction methods
- Working knowledge of a site environment
- Minimum 4 years relevant experience of working on large scale residential projects preferable
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office packages required
- Sound civil engineering / construction knowledge and competent understanding of legal processes
- A working knowledge of relevant regulations and legislation, including Sewers for Adoption, NRSWA and Building Regulations
- Professional, proactive and self-driven with effective leadership skills
- Very good organisational skills, high attention detail, team player, flexible and experience of a fast paced environment
- Competitive salary
- Annual holiday allowance 26 days increasing to 27 after 3yrs service and 28 after 5yrs service (plus bank holidays)
- Life assurance
- Private medical insurance
- Pension scheme
- Bonus scheme
Plus a whole range of other employee benefits that we can tell you all about, our employees are rewarded for their performance, attitude and results.
Thakeham is committed to providing equal opportunities in employment and treating people fairly. We will treat all job applicants and employees equally regardless of age, race, religious belief, colour, ethnic or national origin, sex, marital status, sexual orientation or disability. We welcome applicants from all sectors of society and we are committed to promoting an inclusive environment for all.