Job Title Project Manager
Reports to Construction Director
Job Location Kent
Permanent, full time, part time/flexible working or job shares – we are keen to speak to people who are interested in working a standard or non-standard working week to discuss how we can make this work for the individual and the business.
Thakeham is an infrastructure-led community creator and strategic land promoter and proud winner of a Sunday Times 100 Best Small Companies to Work For.
The business is committed to partnerships, innovation and creating amazing places to live and work. Thakeham is a leader in the industry on sustainability and biodiversity. We are at the forefront of delivering sustainable homes, committed to ensuring every Thakeham home is carbon-neutral in production, and carbon-zero throughout its lifetime use by 2025. These core values underpin the company-wide mission to affect communities in a positive way
Thakeham was launched in 2003. From day one, the company was driven by a clear vision: to transform the way people think about new-built developments. Today, Thakeham employs close to 200 people with a turnover of over £105m.
People are Thakeham’s most important asset. Thakeham operates a thriving graduate recruitment programme and supports the Movement to Work initiative to help young people secure work. Thakeham has signed the HBF Mental Health Charter and recently organised a health and wellbeing programme during Lockdown.
A Silver Armed Forces Covenant signatory and supporter of armed force’s charity Mission Motorsport, Thakeham operates a Talent for Development outreach campaign for military veterans and college leavers.
Away from work, Thakeham offers a range of staff events including quiz nights and participates in charity challenges including dragon boat racing.
We pride ourselves on our ‘Infrastructure first’ approach, ensuring communities release the benefits of new development at the outset, rather than later on in the process. Thakeham strive to not just create new homes, but genuinely amazing places to live, work and play. Thakeham delivers social, affordable and retirement housing for some of the biggest housing associations and local authorities in the country. Partners include the NHS England Healthy New Towns Initiative, the Plunkett Foundation, Social Value UK and have been awarded a prestigious Gold Supply Chain School.
Offering exciting career opportunities that are second to none, we are keen to develop, guide and support our employees throughout their careers. Our people enjoy excellent rewards and working conditions in an exciting and fast growing business.
The Project Manager will generally be site based to run a multiphase residential/mixed use development and will report directly to the Construction Director. Reporting to the Project Manager will be a team of site managers and assistant site managers together with the in house supporting roles of technical and commercial departments. The Project Manager, together with the Construction Director will be responsible for building the site team on a development specific basis.
The Job Role
Typically the Project Manager will be expected to undertake the following duties:
- Overall responsibility for the delivery of the allocated development
- Plan and develop the overall Construction Phase Plan down to each construction phase, including all necessary short term detailed programmes
- Prepare the site overhead budget and monitor throughout the project duration
- Plan, develop and produce the detailed Construction Programmes
- Monitor and report against the Construction Programme on a weekly basis
- Produce the Pre Construction Information Pack, Construction Phase Health and Safety Plan, the Site Fire Plan and the Site Traffic Management Plan. Update all of these as required throughout the progress of the site works
- Pre-construction work with the Technical Manager to ensure design drawings are procured and issued to suit the Construction Programme
- Review the construction drawings to ensure best practice and commercial viability is achieved
- Manage, motivate and encourage team cooperation
- Support, manage and actively deal with any areas of inadequate or unsatisfactory performance of the site team
- Where a problem occurs identify the problem, the cause and undertake the necessary action to prevent repeat
- Attend sub-contract post tender and pre start meetings to ensure compliance with the specification and design drawings
- Arrange and chair sub-contract co-ordination meetings on a regular basis to ensure compliance with the contract programme
- Input into the sub-contract tender documentation, particularly in relation to the site specific scope of works
- Overall responsibility for health, safety and welfare for all operatives and visitors on the development by undertaking/overseeing regular inspections to ensure compliance with legislation
- Undertake and ensure compliance with the Thakeham Site Managers Procedures Manual and Health and Safety Manual
- Overall contract administration of the development
- Cash flow forecasting
This list is not exhaustive. Tasks will be allocated to reflect increasing levels of development and experience.
The Required Skills
- An ability to deliver the highest standards of service
- A proven track record in successful delivery of residential developments
- An ability to achieve against demanding time and quality targets
- Excellent literacy and numeracy skills
- Good IT skills with competency at Microsoft Office/Excel/Asta/Coins
- Snag R experience would be beneficial
- A willingness to attend training courses and to develop relevant knowledge, techniques and skills
- To have good spoken and written communication skills
- To be methodical, pay attention to detail and be accurate
- To be good at working with people at all levels and willing to work in a team
- To be self-motivated with ability to work on own initiative
- To be willing to accept responsibility for completing designated tasks
- To hold a full clean driving licence
- Hold current SMSTS Certificate and CSCS card
- Competitive salary
- Annual holiday allowance 26 days increasing to 27 after 3yrs service and 28 after 5yrs service (plus bank holidays)
- Life assurance
- Private medical insurance
- Health screening
- Pension scheme
- Excellent development and progression opportunities for the right candidate
- Company Social events
- Discretionary bonus scheme
Plus a whole range of other employee benefits that we can tell you all about, our employees are rewarded for their performance, attitude and results.
Thakeham is committed to providing equal opportunities in employment and treating people fairly. We will treat all job applicants and employees equally regardless of age, race, religious belief, colour, ethnic or national origin, sex, marital status, sexual orientation or disability. We welcome applicants from all sectors of society and we are committed to promoting an inclusive environment for all.