Job Title Project Programmer
Role Type Permanent/Full Time
Reports to Pre-Development Construction Manager
Job Location Billingshurst, West Sussex
Thakeham is an infrastructure-led community creator and strategic land promoter and proud winner of a Sunday Times 100 Best Small Companies to Work For.
The business is committed to partnerships, innovation and creating amazing places to live and work. Thakeham is a leader in the industry on sustainability and biodiversity. We are at the forefront of delivering sustainable homes, committed to ensuring every Thakeham home is carbon-neutral in production, and carbon-zero throughout its lifetime use by 2025. These core values underpin the company-wide mission to affect communities in a positive way
Thakeham was launched in 2003. From day one, the company was driven by a clear vision: to transform the way people think about new-built developments. Today, Thakeham employs close to 200 people with a turnover of over £105m.
People are Thakeham’s most important asset. Thakeham operates a thriving graduate recruitment programme and supports the Movement to Work initiative to help young people secure work. Thakeham has signed the HBF Mental Health Charter and recently organised a health and wellbeing programme during Lockdown.
A Bronze Armed Forces Covenant signatory and supporter of armed force’s charity Mission Motorsport, Thakeham operates a Talent for Development outreach campaign for military veterans and college leavers.
Away from work, Thakeham offers a range of staff events including quiz nights and participates in charity challenges including dragon boat racing.
We pride ourselves on our ‘Infrastructure first’ approach, ensuring communities release the benefits of new development at the outset, rather than later on in the process. Thakeham strive to not just create new homes, but genuinely amazing places to live, work and play. Thakeham delivers social, affordable and retirement housing for some of the biggest housing associations and local authorities in the country. Partners include the NHS England Healthy New Towns Initiative, the Plunkett Foundation, Social Value UK and have been awarded a prestigious Gold Supply Chain School.
Offering exciting career opportunities that are second to none, we are keen to develop, guide and support our employees throughout their careers. Our people enjoy excellent rewards and working conditions in an exciting and fast growing business.
This role will be located within the Thakeham Development Management department where you will work closely with the Estimating Team and Pre-Development roles in the business.
The majority of your time will be spent working for Thakeham Partnerships. This is the contracting side of the business that build for our public sector clients e.g. council’s and registered providers.
We are looking for a motivated and enthusiastic team member with sound knowledge of construction, technical, engineering and the planning processes to take projects through the pre-development process & bid stage through to the handover of a scheme to the Production Department where construction works commence onsite.
The Job Role
The role holder’s primary responsibilities will be;
- Agreeing with the Bid Team key methods of construction, establishing the sequencing of the project to produce a Tender Programme. Ensuring that it is functionally compliant with the Client’s requirements, planning procedures and technical documentation provided in the dataroom
- Production of the Construction Prelim budget, identifying major quantities, site constraints and contract requirements which affect the overall programme
- Establishing and agreeing construction outputs with the Production Team
- Producing Construction Reports, Build sequence and Phase Plans, Site logistics layouts, and Prelims reports and presenting at adjudication meetings with Senior Company Directors and / or Clients
- Where required, produce Health & Safety Documentation, including Construction Phase Health & safety Plans, Construction Management Plans and Project Method Statements to support Contract bids
This list is not exhaustive. Tasks will be allocated to reflect increasing levels of development and experience.
The Required Skills
- Experience of planning medium to large, multi-phased projects within the construction and engineering industry
- An understanding of the construction market, methods of construction, plant, equipment and labour requirements
- Logical thinking – clear perception of the sequences involved in construction
- Able to think outside the box with the view to improving project delivery
- Excellent communication skills
- Good attention to detail and organisational skills
- Professional approach with high degree of discretion
- Effective time management skills. Self-motivated and able to work unsupervised
- Organised and methodical
- Willing to take guidance and to learn
- Proficient in Asta Powerproject, Microsoft office (Word, Excel & PowerPoint) and Bluebeam
- Some site experience preferred. (i.e., Site Management / Site Engineer)
- Competitive salary
- Annual holiday allowance 26 days increasing to 27 after 3yrs service and 28 after 5yrs service (plus bank holidays)
- Life assurance
- Private medical insurance
- Health screening
- Pension scheme
- Flexible working hours in a modern office environment / Working from Home Policy
- Excellent development and progression opportunities for the right candidate
- Company Social events
- Discretionary bonus scheme
Plus a whole range of other employee benefits that we can tell you all about, our employees are rewarded for their performance, attitude and results.
Thakeham is committed to providing equal opportunities in employment and treating people fairly. We will treat all job applicants and employees equally regardless of age, race, religious belief, colour, ethnic or national origin, sex, marital status, sexual orientation or disability. We welcome applicants from all sectors of society and we are committed to promoting an inclusive environment for all.