Job Title Quantity Surveyor
Role Type Permanent, full time
Job Location Wokingham, Berkshire
Reports to Commercial Director
Thakeham is an infrastructure-led community creator and strategic land promoter and proud winner of a Sunday Times 100 Best Small Companies to Work For.
The business is committed to partnerships, innovation and creating amazing places to live and work. Thakeham is a leader in the industry on sustainability and biodiversity. We are at the forefront of delivering sustainable homes, committed to ensuring every Thakeham home is carbon-neutral in production, and carbon-zero throughout its lifetime use by 2025. These core values underpin the company-wide mission to affect communities in a positive way
Thakeham was launched in 2003. From day one, the company was driven by a clear vision: to transform the way people think about new-built developments. Today, Thakeham employs close to 200 people with a turnover of over £105m.
People are Thakeham’s most important asset. Thakeham operates a thriving graduate recruitment programme and supports the Movement to Work initiative to help young people secure work. Thakeham has signed the HBF Mental Health Charter and recently organised a health and wellbeing programme during Lockdown.
A Bronze Armed Forces Covenant signatory and supporter of armed force’s charity Mission Motorsport, Thakeham operates a Talent for Development outreach campaign for military veterans and college leavers.
Away from work, Thakeham offers a range of staff events including quiz nights and participates in charity challenges including dragon boat racing.
We pride ourselves on our ‘Infrastructure first’ approach, ensuring communities release the benefits of new development at the outset, rather than later on in the process. Thakeham strive to not just create new homes, but genuinely amazing places to live, work and play. Thakeham delivers social, affordable and retirement housing for some of the biggest housing associations and local authorities in the country. Partners include the NHS England Healthy New Towns Initiative, the Plunkett Foundation, Social Value UK and have been awarded a prestigious Gold Supply Chain School.
Offering exciting career opportunities that are second to none, we are keen to develop, guide and support our employees throughout their careers. Our people enjoy excellent rewards and working conditions in an exciting and fast growing business.
The focus of the commercial department is cost management, subcontractor procurement, valuations and variations and maintaining our system and procedures. Due to our continued growth we are looking for a Quantity surveyor to work in a newly created role reporting to the commercial Director.
The Job Role
The role holder’s primary responsibility will be
- Cost management and reporting
- Subcontract procurement / tendering and analysis
- Subcontract orders, payments and variation orders
- Final accounts
- Internal and external valuations
- Site project team meetings
- Client project team meetings
- Monthly cost report meetings
- Subcontractor post tender and pre start minutes
- Costing changes and variations
- Report writing
- Control of Specification’s / ER’s
- Liaise with all departments within the Company to provide continuous value engineering on each project.
- Cashflow forecasts
- Scope of works
- BOQ’s, take off’s and budget breakdown
- Training and support other members of the team
- Complying to JCT contact T&C’s
- Co-ordinate with build team to deliver each project on time, to budget and in tune with Company standards of quality
The Required Skills
- Preferable to have an industry related degree qualification
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in residential QS
- Track record of integrity & reliability
- Excellent teamwork and organisational skills
- Good IT skills
- Able to demonstrate project delivery within a set time frame
- Good technical understanding and knowledge of construction methods and materials including timber frame and traditional construction methods
- Budget handling skills
- A methodical approach to work
- A clear understanding of Building Regulations and other legal guidelines
- Excellent communication and negotiating skills
- A full valid driving licence is essential
- Competitive salary
- Annual holiday allowance 26 days increasing to 27 after 3yrs service and 28 after 5yrs service (plus bank holidays)
- Life assurance 3 x salary
- Single cover private medical insurance
- Pension scheme 5% matched contribution level
- Discretionary bonus scheme
Plus a whole range of other employee benefits that we can tell you all about, our employees are rewarded for their performance, attitude and results.
Thakeham is committed to providing equal opportunities in employment and treating people fairly. We will treat all job applicants and employees equally regardless of age, race, religious belief, colour, ethnic or national origin, sex, marital status, sexual orientation or disability. We welcome applicants from all sectors of society and we are committed to promoting an inclusive environment for all.