Job Title Senior Engineering Manager – Strategic
Role Type Permanent, Full Time
Job Location Billingshurst, West Sussex
Reports to Engineering Director
Thakeham is an infrastructure-led community creator and strategic land promoter and proud winner of a Sunday Times 100 Best Small Companies to Work For.
The business is committed to partnerships, innovation and creating amazing places to live and work. Thakeham is a leader in the industry on sustainability and biodiversity. We are at the forefront of delivering sustainable homes, committed to ensuring every Thakeham home is carbon-neutral in production, and carbon-zero throughout its lifetime use by 2025. These core values underpin the company-wide mission to affect communities in a positive way
Thakeham was launched in 2003. From day one, the company was driven by a clear vision: to transform the way people think about new-built developments. Today, Thakeham employs close to 200 people with a turnover of over £105m.
People are Thakeham’s most important asset. Thakeham operates a thriving graduate recruitment programme and supports the Movement to Work initiative to help young people secure work. Thakeham has signed the HBF Mental Health Charter and recently organised a health and wellbeing programme during Lockdown.
A Bronze Armed Forces Covenant signatory and supporter of armed force’s charity Mission Motorsport, Thakeham operates a Talent for Development outreach campaign for military veterans and college leavers.
Away from work, Thakeham offers a range of staff events including quiz nights and participates in charity challenges including dragon boat racing.
We pride ourselves on our ‘Infrastructure first’ approach, ensuring communities release the benefits of new development at the outset, rather than later on in the process. Thakeham strive to not just create new homes, but genuinely amazing places to live, work and play. Thakeham delivers social, affordable and retirement housing for some of the biggest housing associations and local authorities in the country. Partners include the NHS England Healthy New Towns Initiative, the Plunkett Foundation, Social Value UK and have been awarded a prestigious Gold Supply Chain School.
Offering exciting career opportunities that are second to none, we are keen to develop, guide and support our employees throughout their careers. Our people enjoy excellent rewards and working conditions in an exciting and fast growing business.
The Engineering department co-ordinates and manages the design of the infrastructure elements on a wide range of projects from inception through to delivery in region for Thakeham Homes and Thakeham Partnerships and with Thakeham Strategic. Due to our continued growth, we are looking for a Senior Engineering Manager to work in a newly created role reporting to the Engineering Director in Thakeham Strategic.
The Job Role
The role is to procure, manage and then deliver design of the infrastructure elements on strategic projects from inception through to delivery, it will include:
- Pre-acquisition engineering appraisals and management of consultants on new land opportunities
- Commission consultants to procure soil investigations, surveys, drainage investigations, transport surveys, safety audits etc and arranging the same for detailed design purposes for Planning submission
- Appointment of external civil engineering consultants for Engineering constraints and Masterplan development through planning and then detailed design.
- Preparing Infrastructure cost analysis.
- Managing design programmes and budgets
- Appointing and managing solicitors in the preparation of new agreements, agreeing the covenants contained therein, and checking legal drawings
- Managing Sectional Agreements strategy, design, submission, approval, engrossments through to procurement of contractor and implementation on site
- Managing Highway Designs – a detailed understanding of the Highways Act,
- Managing Drainage Designs – a detailed understanding of the Water Industry Act, the Flood Water Management Act, and Building Regulations
- Managing engineering licences to ensure the necessary approvals are in place prior to works commencing
- Value engineering to bring buildability and commerciality to the business
- Managing earthworks design (cut and fill) and presenting the strategy to interested parties within the business
- Co-ordinating designs to inform the masterplan development, cost and programmes and build sequence
- Utility procurement; design feasibility, diversions and reinforcement and value engineered solutions.
- Close liaison with Thakeham Strategic Development Executive to ensure cost control and scope of works and project specific constraints
- Ensuring the company fulfills its obligations under CDM and Health & Safety legislation with regards to engineering
- Chair, internal and external Stakeholder meetings
This list is not exhaustive. Tasks will be allocated to reflect increasing levels of development and experience.
The Required Skills
- A proven working knowledge of AutoCAD and other design software such as PDS, Windes, & Civil
- A proven working knowledge of current Building Regulations, Design Manuals, and current construction
- Excellent working knowledge of a site
- Minimum 5 years relevant experience of working on large scale residential projects preferable
- Good IT skills
- A proven and broad experience of civil engineering / building knowledge and full understanding of legal processes
- A proven knowledge of relevant regulations and legislation, including Sewers for Adoption, NRSWA and Building Regulations
- Proactive, self-driven, results-oriented with a positive outlook
- An effective team player, leader, motivator, and mentor with excellent communication skills
- Credible, and comfortable in dealing with a wide variety of stakeholders
- Keen to deliver exceptional customer service
- Very good organisational skills, including attention to detail
- Professional approach with high degree of discretion
- Ability to work on own initiative and generate solutions
- Experience of working in a fast paced environment
- Competitive salary
- Annual holiday allowance 26 days increasing to 27 after 3yrs service and 28 after 5yrs service (plus bank holidays)
- Life assurance
- Private medical insurance
- Health screening
- Pension scheme
- Bonus scheme
- Flexible working hours in a modern office environment / Working from Home Policy
- Company social events
Plus, a whole range of other employee benefits that we can tell you all about, our employees are rewarded for their performance, attitude and results.
Thakeham is committed to providing equal opportunities in employment and treating people fairly. We will treat all job applicants and employees equally regardless of age, race, religious belief, colour, ethnic or national origin, sex, marital status, sexual orientation or disability. We welcome applicants from all sectors of society and we are committed to promoting an inclusive environment for all.