Job Title Senior Quantity Surveyor
Role Type Permanent, full time
Job Location West Sussex & Kent
Reports to Commercial Director
Thakeham is an infrastructure-led community creator and strategic land promoter and proud winner of a Sunday Times 100 Best Small Companies to Work For.
The business is committed to partnerships, innovation and creating amazing places to live and work. Thakeham is a leader in the industry on sustainability and biodiversity. We are at the forefront of delivering sustainable homes, committed to ensuring every Thakeham home is carbon-neutral in production, and carbon-zero throughout its lifetime use by 2025. These core values underpin the company-wide mission to affect communities in a positive way
Thakeham was launched in 2003. From day one, the company was driven by a clear vision: to transform the way people think about new-built developments. Today, Thakeham employs just over 200 people with a turnover of over £105m.
People are Thakeham’s most important asset. Thakeham operates a thriving graduate recruitment programme and supports the Movement to Work initiative to help young people secure work. Thakeham has signed the HBF Mental Health Charter and recently organised a health and wellbeing programme during Lockdown.
A Silver Armed Forces Covenant signatory and supporter of armed force’s charity Mission Motorsport, Thakeham operates a Talent for Development outreach campaign for military veterans and college leavers.
Away from work, Thakeham offers a range of staff events including quiz nights and participates in charity challenges including dragon boat racing.
We pride ourselves on our ‘Infrastructure first’ approach, ensuring communities release the benefits of new development at the outset, rather than later on in the process. Thakeham strive to not just create new homes, but genuinely amazing places to live, work and play. Thakeham delivers social, affordable and retirement housing for some of the biggest housing associations and local authorities in the country. Partners include the NHS England Healthy New Towns Initiative, the Plunkett Foundation, Social Value UK and have been awarded a prestigious Gold Supply Chain School.
Offering exciting career opportunities that are second to none, we are keen to develop, guide and support our employees throughout their careers. Our people enjoy excellent rewards and working conditions in an exciting and fast growing business.
The commercial department provides support to all employees and departments within the business during their entire employment life cycle. The focus of the department is cost management, subcontractor procurement, valuations and variations and maintaining our system and procedures. Due to our continued growth we are looking for a Senior Quantity Surveyor to work in a newly created role reporting to the Commercial Director.
The Job Role
To be responsible for the commercial function on each project from pre development/tender stage, formulation of budget, through build to delivery and completion.
Take overall responsibility for delivering projects within budget. The Senior Quantity Surveyor shall develop existing estimates into project budgets, conduct sub contract procurement, and post contract financial control and reporting in line with company policy and procedures.
- Develop the estimate, and complete a budget for each scheme.
- Liaise with all departments within the Company to provide continuous value engineering on each project.
- Oversee the preparation of tender enquiries to trades, and authorise accordingly.
- Accurate cost Analysis of sub-contract tender returns (minimum 3 per trade) and follow through with pre order meetings and order placement.
- Assess and agree interim payments against sub-contract orders.
- Attend H.A. Site Meetings and administer Development Agreements.
- Maintain weekly site visits and implement Company Policy on additional costs.
- Ensure Management Cost Reports are accurate and up to date.
- Co-ordinate with the build team to ensure sub-contract orders are placed ahead of build requirements.
- Provide costings for sales extras as requested.
- Agree final account for each contract.
- Co-ordinate with build team to deliver each project on time, to budget and in tune with Company standards of quality.
This list is not exhaustive. Tasks will be allocated to reflect increasing levels of development and experience.
The Required Skills
- Industry related Degree Qualification
- Minimum five year’s experience in Residential QS
- Experience of working with JCT Form of Contracts
- Experience of cash flows, updating and monitoring
- Track record of integrity & reliability
- Teamwork skills
- Organisational Skills
- Good communication skills
- Good IT skills, coins experience preferred
- Good Technical understanding
- Able to demonstrate project delivery within a set time frame
- Good management skills & experience
- Good knowledge of construction methods and materials
- Budget handling skills
- A methodical approach to work
- A clear understanding of Building Regulations and other legal guidelines
- Excellent communication and negotiating skills
- A full valid driving licence is essential
- Competitive salary
- Annual holiday allowance 26 days increasing to 27 after 3yrs service and 28 after 5yrs service (plus bank holidays)
- Life assurance
- Private medical insurance
- Health screening
- Pension scheme
- Bonus scheme
- Flexible working hours in a modern office environment / Working from Home Policy
- Excellent development and progression opportunities for the right candidate
- Company Social events
Plus a whole range of other employee benefits that we can tell you all about, our employees are rewarded for their performance, attitude and results.
Thakeham is committed to providing equal opportunities in employment and treating people fairly. We will treat all job applicants and employees equally regardless of age, race, religious belief, colour, ethnic or national origin, sex, marital status, sexual orientation or disability. We welcome applicants from all sectors of society and we are committed to promoting an inclusive environment for all.