From day one, we have been driven by a clear vision: to transform the way people think about new-build developments.
Over 20 years later, that ethos is still very much alive, reflected in our numerous awards and enviable reputation in the sector. Today, we employ close to 250 people and has a forecasted revenue of £219 million in 2023/24.
An infrastructure-led community creator and strategic land promoter, we are committed to partnerships, innovation and creating amazing places to live and work. We are industry-leading in sustainability and biodiversity, and all our homes will be net zero carbon by 2025.
We pride ourselves on our ‘infrastructure first’ approach, ensuring communities release the benefits of new development at the outset, rather than later in the process. We deliver social, affordable and retirement housing for a wide range of housing associations and local authorities.
People are our most important asset, and this is reflected in the way we operate. We were recognised in the prestigious ‘Best Places to Work 2023’ and are listed in the Top 100 Best Large Companies to Work For 2023.
Our people enjoy excellent rewards and working conditions in an exciting and growing business. We offer exciting career opportunities, and are keen to develop, guide and support our employees, regardless of what stage they are in their careers. We value diversity and encourage people to bring their full authentic selves to work. A Gold Armed Forces Covenant signatory and supporter of armed force’s charity Building Heroes, we operate a Talent for Development outreach campaign for military veterans and college leavers.
Work and fun should not be mutually exclusive and we offer a range of social events including quiz nights, BBQs and all staff parties. We run informal lunch and learns and take on charity challenges such as dragon boat racing. We encourage people to volunteer in their communities, offering two paid days per year to do so. Where roles allow, our summer hours policy in June, July and August allows people to enjoy longer weekends with their loved ones. A flexible approach to working is available all year round.
Join our team and let’s build communities, together.
The commercial department provides support to all employees and departments within the business during their entire employment life cycle. The focus of the department is cost management, subcontractor procurement, valuations and variations and maintaining our system and procedures.
The successful candidate will be responsible for the commercial function on each project from pre development/tender stage, formulation of budget, through build to delivery and completion.
Take overall responsibility for delivering projects within budget. The Quantity Surveyor shall develop existing estimates into project budgets, conduct sub contract procurement, and post contract financial control and reporting in line with company policy and procedures.
- Develop the estimate and complete a budget for each scheme along with cost to complete analysis on future phases
- Liaise with all departments within the Company to provide continuous value engineering on each project
- Oversee the preparation of tender enquiries to trades, including defined scopes of works, and authorise accordingly
- Accurate cost Analysis of sub-contract tender returns (minimum 3 per trade) and follow through with pre order meetings and order placement
- Monitoring changes so as to continuously identify the status of risks and opportunities
- Establish subcontract sources early to contribute to Value Engineering
- Assess and agree interim payments against Clients / sub-contract orders and with JCT partnerships
- Attend H.A. Site Meetings and administer Development Agreements / JCT contracts
- Maintain weekly site visits and implement Company Policy on additional costs
- Ensure Management Cost Reports are accurate and up to date
- Co-ordinate with the build team to ensure sub-contract orders are placed ahead of build requirements
- Provide costings for sales / Client extras as requested
- Agree final account for each contract
- Co-ordinate with build team to deliver each project on time, to budget and in tune with Company standards of quality
- Provide cashflow updates for Partnership projects and maintain them on a monthly basis
- Complete submission of extension of time claims
- Build and establish relationships with the supply chain
- Liase and assist with the Customer Care department for rectification of any major defects providing any relevant information and aiding with problems with subcontractors
- Train and develop the skills of Assistant / Trainee Surveyors
This list is not exhaustive. Tasks will be allocated to reflect increasing levels of development and experience.
The required skills
- Industry related Degree Qualification
- Minimum five year’s experience in Residential QS
- Experience of working with JCT Form of Contracts
- Experience of cash flows, updating and monitoring and handling budgets
- Track record of integrity & reliability
- Good teamwork, organisation, communication and negotiating skills
- Good IT skills, coins experience preferred
- Good Technical understanding with knowledge of construction methods and materials
- Able to demonstrate project delivery within a set time frame
- Good management skills & experience
- A methodical approach to work
- A clear understanding of Building Regulations and other legal guidelines
- A full valid driving licence is essential
- Competitive salary
- Car allowance
- Salary sacrifice car scheme
- Annual holiday allowance 26 days increasing to 27 after 3yrs service and 28 after 5yrs service (plus bank holidays)
- Life assurance
- Private medical insurance
- Health screening
- Pension scheme
- Bonus scheme
- Flexible working hours in a modern office environment / Working from Home Policy
- Excellent development and progression opportunities for the right candidate
- Company Social events
Plus a whole range of other employee benefits that we can tell you all about, our employees are rewarded for their performance, attitude and results.
We are committed to providing equal opportunities in employment and treating people fairly. We will treat all job applicants and employees equally regardless of age, race, religious belief, colour, ethnic or national origin, sex, marital status, sexual orientation or disability. We welcome applicants from all sectors of society and we are committed to promoting an inclusive environment for all.