Senior Site Manager
Job Title Senior Site Manager
Role Type Permanent, full time, part time/flexible working or job shares – we are keen to speak to people who are interested in working a standard or non-standard working week to discuss how we can make this work for the individual and the business.
Job Location Northern Home Counties
Reports to Construction Director
Thakeham is an infrastructure-led community creator and strategic land promoter and proud winner of a Sunday Times 100 Best Small Companies to Work For.
The business is committed to partnerships, innovation and creating amazing places to live and work. Thakeham is a leader in the industry on sustainability and biodiversity. We are at the forefront of delivering sustainable homes, committed to ensuring every Thakeham home is carbon-neutral in production, and carbon-zero throughout its lifetime use by 2025. These core values underpin the company-wide mission to affect communities in a positive way
Thakeham was launched in 2003. From day one, the company was driven by a clear vision: to transform the way people think about new-built developments. Today, Thakeham employs close to 200 people with a turnover of over £105m.
People are Thakeham’s most important asset. Thakeham operates a thriving graduate recruitment programme and supports the Movement to Work initiative to help young people secure work. Thakeham has signed the HBF Mental Health Charter and recently organised a health and wellbeing programme during Lockdown.
A Silver Armed Forces Covenant signatory and supporter of armed force’s charity Mission Motorsport, Thakeham operates a Talent for Development outreach campaign for military veterans and college leavers.
Away from work, Thakeham offers a range of staff events including quiz nights and participates in charity challenges including dragon boat racing.
We pride ourselves on our ‘Infrastructure first’ approach, ensuring communities release the benefits of new development at the outset, rather than later on in the process. Thakeham strive to not just create new homes, but genuinely amazing places to live, work and play. Thakeham delivers social, affordable and retirement housing for some of the biggest housing associations and local authorities in the country. Partners include the NHS England Healthy New Towns Initiative, the Plunkett Foundation, Social Value UK and have been awarded a prestigious Gold Supply Chain School.
Offering exciting career opportunities that are second to none, we are keen to develop, guide and support our employees throughout their careers. Our people enjoy excellent rewards and working conditions in an exciting and fast growing business.
The construction team ensure that the on-site construction operation is managed suitably well to ensure compliance with build quality, budget and programme and to our customer’s satisfaction.
The Job Role
The successful candidate will;
- Overall responsibility for the delivery of the construction operations on a particular development
- Alongside the Contracts Manager develop the Site Set up Plan that includes compound position, material storage areas, spoil heaps, highway constraints etc.
- Alongside the Contracts Manager develop the overall Construction programme
- Completion of weekly management reports detailing progress against programme and detail action to recover any lost time
- Develop and review short term day by day programmes as required dependant on criticality of specific operations
- Update as required, the Site Fire Plan and the Site Traffic Management Plan
- Review the construction drawings to ensure best practice and commercial viability is achieved
- Undertake a site safety induction of all new site personnel
- Ensure all site personnel comply with current Health and Safety legislation and in compliance with the Thakeham Health and Safety manual
- Ensure all operatives have the necessary certification to carry out their duties
- Completion of all statutory safety forms on a weekly basis
- Ensure all operations are carried out in compliance with approved method statements
- Check and monitor all subcontractors RAMS and COSHH assessments
- Undertake frequent inspections of site operations to ensure they are carried out in a safe manner
- Call off site materials in an efficient manner to enable continuity of works on site whilst minimising site wastage
- Reconcile weekly material and plant returns
- Establish the quality of work required and issue noncompliance notices should work fall below the standard required
- Undertake and ensure compliance with the Site Managers Procedures Manual and Health and Safety Manual by the site team, in particular the requirement for stage checks and commissioning is fully adhered to
- Plan and arrange the necessary NHBC and LABC inspections. Accompany the inspector on their site visit and rectify any reportable items immediately.
- Aim for no RI’s
- Ensure completion of the Site Waste Management Plan on a weekly basis
- Issue clear up notices to subcontractors that do not adhere to our site tidiness expectations
- Attend fortnightly Build Sales meetings and cooperate with reasonable requests of the sales Department
- Attend sub-contract post tender and pre start meetings to ensure compliance with the specification and design drawings
- Arrange and chair sub-contract co-ordination meetings on a regular basis to ensure compliance with the contract programme
- Input into the sub-contract tender documentation, particularly in relation to the site specific scope of works
- Where a problem occurs identify the problem, the cause and undertake the necessary action to prevent repeat
This list is not exhaustive. Tasks will be allocated to reflect increasing levels of development and experience.
The Required Skills
- An ability to deliver the highest standards of service
- A proven track record in successful delivery of residential developments
- An ability to achieve against demanding time and quality targets
- Excellent literacy and numeracy skills
- Good IT skills with competency at Microsoft Office/Excel/Asta
- A willingness to attend training courses and to develop relevant knowledge, techniques and skills
- To have good spoken and written communication skills
- To be methodical, pay attention to detail and be accurate
- To be good at working with people at all levels and willing to work in a team
- To be self-motivated with ability to work on own initiative
- To be willing to accept responsibility for completing designated tasks
- A driving licence
- Hold current SMSTS Certificate and CSCS card
- Competitive salary
- Annual holiday allowance 26 days increasing to 27 after 3yrs service and 28 after 5yrs service (plus bank holidays)
- Life assurance
- Private medical insurance
- Health screening
- Pension scheme
- Bonus scheme
- Company Social events
Plus a whole range of other employee benefits that we can tell you all about, our employees are rewarded for their performance, attitude and results.
Thakeham is committed to providing equal opportunities in employment and treating people fairly. We will treat all job applicants and employees equally regardless of age, race, religious belief, colour, ethnic or national origin, sex, marital status, sexual orientation or disability. We welcome applicants from all sectors of society and we are committed to promoting an inclusive environment for all.