Job Title Urban Designer/Senior Urban Designer
Role Type Permanent/Full Time
Job Location Billingshurst, West Sussex
Reports to Lead Master Planner
Thakeham is an infrastructure-led community creator and strategic land promoter and proud winner of a Sunday Times 100 Best Small Companies to Work For.
The business is committed to partnerships, innovation and creating amazing places to live and work. Thakeham is a leader in the industry on sustainability and biodiversity. We are at the forefront of delivering sustainable homes, committed to ensuring every Thakeham home is carbon-neutral in production, and carbon-zero throughout its lifetime use by 2025. These core values underpin the company-wide mission to affect communities in a positive way
Thakeham was launched in 2003. From day one, the company was driven by a clear vision: to transform the way people think about new-built developments. Today, Thakeham employs close to 200 people with a turnover of over £105m.
People are Thakeham’s most important asset. Thakeham operates a thriving graduate recruitment programme and supports the Movement to Work initiative to help young people secure work. Thakeham has signed the HBF Mental Health Charter and recently organised a health and wellbeing programme during Lockdown.
A Bronze Armed Forces Covenant signatory and supporter of armed force’s charity Mission Motorsport, Thakeham operates a Talent for Development outreach campaign for military veterans and college leavers.
Away from work, Thakeham offers a range of staff events including quiz nights and participates in charity challenges including dragon boat racing.
We pride ourselves on our ‘Infrastructure first’ approach, ensuring communities release the benefits of new development at the outset, rather than later on in the process. Thakeham strive to not just create new homes, but genuinely amazing places to live, work and play. Thakeham delivers social, affordable and retirement housing for some of the biggest housing associations and local authorities in the country. Partners include the NHS England Healthy New Towns Initiative, the Plunkett Foundation, Social Value UK and have been awarded a prestigious Gold Supply Chain School.
Offering exciting career opportunities that are second to none, we are keen to develop, guide and support our employees throughout their careers. Our people enjoy excellent rewards and working conditions in an exciting and fast growing business.
High-quality design is paramount to what Thakeham does, ensuring that our enviable standards and brand identity are manifested into desirable places to live. The Design Department is responsible for design at both the planning and detailed design stages, whilst also providing support to all other areas of the business. Our team work on projects from conception all the way through to construction and completion, ensuring that the high standards of the business are met throughout the design and build process.
As the business continues to grow, the Design Department has found its workload steadily increasing and is therefore looking to expand its workforce, as we bring more design work in-house.
The Job Role
We are a looking for an Urban Designer, competent in developing complex design solutions across a range of scales, to join our growing in house design team. As an Urban Designer, you will be expected to help prepare and manage proposals for the development of new sustainable communities from concept stage to planning approval.
The successful candidate will;
- Produce concept drawings and perform initial site appraisals to inform site opportunities and constraints
- Produce high-quality drawings and associated documents to support planning applications
- Visually communicate using a range of medium including CAD, Adobe Creative Suite and hand-drawing
- Produce drawings for and maintain awareness of multiple projects simultaneously, managing your time and workload, ensuring design services are being completed to a high standard
- Identify strategies to maximise the development potential of all sites and produce cost effective schemes through providing high-quality design in-line with the Thakeham brand
- Collaborate with a wide range of departments within the business to ensure the design vision is realised in the final product
- Pro-actively engage with consultants at all stages of the design process
- Attend and contribute towards internal Design Department Meetings
- Attend and contribute towards Project Team Meetings
- Maintain market awareness of competitors’ schemes and use precedents to inform future designs
- Ensure design projects are delivered on time, and to the quality required to meet and enhance Thakeham’s brand
This list is not exhaustive. Tasks will be allocated to reflect increasing levels of development and experience.
The Required Skills
- A strong passion for design and the ability to add value to complex projects
- The capability to think innovatively, with strong problem solving and research skills
- The ability to prioritise / organise key information relating to multiple projects
- Excellent attention to detail and an eye for accuracy
- The ability to self-motivate and work on own initiative, whilst also motivating those around them
- Proficiency in AutoCAD, Adobe Creative Suite and SketchUp
- Proficiency in MS Office (Word, Excel & Outlook)
- Experience of designing in Revit is desirable but not essential
- An understanding of UK planning process, design guidance and Building Regulations
- A degree in Urban Design or a similar subject is essential
- 2-3 years experience of urban design required
- A background in architecture would be beneficial
- Competitive salary
- Annual holiday allowance 26 days increasing to 27 after 3yrs service and 28 after 5yrs service (plus bank holidays)
- Life assurance
- Private medical insurance
- Health screening
- Pension scheme
- Bonus scheme
- Flexible working hours in a modern office environment / Working from Home Policy
- Excellent development and progression opportunities for the right candidate
- Company Social events
Plus a whole range of other employee benefits that we can tell you all about, our employees are rewarded for their performance, attitude and results.
Thakeham is committed to providing equal opportunities in employment and treating people fairly. We will treat all job applicants and employees equally regardless of age, race, religious belief, colour, ethnic or national origin, sex, marital status, sexual orientation or disability. We welcome applicants from all sectors of society and we are committed to promoting an inclusive environment for all.