From day one, we have been driven by a clear vision: to transform the way people think about new-build developments.
Over 20 years later, that ethos is still very much alive, reflected in our numerous awards and enviable reputation in the sector. Today, we employ close to 250 people and has a forecasted revenue of £219 million in 2023/24.
An infrastructure-led community creator and strategic land promoter, we are committed to partnerships, innovation and creating amazing places to live and work. We are industry-leading in sustainability and biodiversity, and all our homes will be net zero carbon by 2025.
We pride ourselves on our ‘infrastructure first’ approach, ensuring communities release the benefits of new development at the outset, rather than later in the process. We deliver social, affordable and retirement housing for a wide range of housing associations and local authorities.
People are our most important asset, and this is reflected in the way we operate. We were recognised in the prestigious ‘Best Places to Work 2023’ and are listed in the Top 100 Best Large Companies to Work For 2023.
Our people enjoy excellent rewards and working conditions in an exciting and growing business. We offer exciting career opportunities, and are keen to develop, guide and support our employees, regardless of what stage they are in their careers. We value diversity and encourage people to bring their full authentic selves to work. A Gold Armed Forces Covenant signatory and supporter of armed force’s charity Building Heroes, we operate a Talent for Development outreach campaign for military veterans and college leavers.
Work and fun should not be mutually exclusive and we offer a range of social events including quiz nights, BBQs and all staff parties. We run informal lunch and learns and take on charity challenges such as dragon boat racing. We encourage people to volunteer in their communities, offering two paid days per year to do so. Where roles allow, our summer hours policy in June, July and August allows people to enjoy longer weekends with their loved ones. A flexible approach to working is available all year round.
Join our team and let’s build communities, together.
The role is a standalone 12 month contract, split between Development Management, Design and Sustainability departments. But you will also be working alongside other pre-development roles within the business.
Thakeham is in a period of transition from a medium sized housebuilder to a business that delivers large-scale new communities. In order to achieve this goal and continue its work in leading the industry in Zero Carbon; Thakeham is embarking on the Zero Carbon Placemaking project.
The majority of your time will be spent working for Thakeham Homes. This is the housebuilding side of the business, on a new internal project called Zero Carbon Placemaking. The project is of great importance to Thakeham as it will become the blueprint for all large-scale future developments, defining how we approach the creation of new communities.
Thakeham is looking to incorporate essential sustainable features into the future new communities such as active travel, 15-minute neighbourhoods, integrated green & blue infrastructure and more generally consider creating healthy places. We have aspirations to lead the industry in this area, so we are wanting to target the use of innovative technologies and thinking as part of the Zero Carbon Placemaking approach.
The role requires an individual who has the passion and understanding to lead the business to realise it’s aspirations for Zero Carbon Placemaking.
We are looking for an experienced and motivated individual, with sound knowledge of the development industry and someone who is passionate about innovation in the built environment.
The successful candidate will;
- Lead the Zero Carbon Placemaking Project
- Manage the internal and external project team to deliver the Zero Carbon Placemaking targets
- Leading / attending external meetings with external stakeholders, as required
- Oversee the creation of project deliverables, as agreed with the business
- Manage the internal sign-off process
- Managing / coaching / mentoring junior team members, with responsibility for their personal development and future role within the business
- Comply with all company policies and procedures and to uphold the Thakeham brand in all company dealings
This list is not exhaustive. Tasks will be allocated to reflect increasing levels of development and experience.
The required skills
- A strong passion for the built environment and sustainability
- Be self-motivated and have the ability to work autonomously
- Demonstrable project and people management skills
- Leadership experience
- The ability to prioritise / organise key information across multiple workstreams
- Understanding of the development process and how decisions impact viability
- Excellent communication skills, confidence to liaise with people and challenge the status quo
- Strong presentation skills
- Good attention to detail and organisational skills
- Effective time management skills
- Professional approach with high degree of discretion
- Willing to be flexible and get involved with a wide range of tasks
- Competitive salary
- Car allowance
- Salary sacrifice car scheme
- Annual holiday allowance 26 days increasing to 27 after 3yrs service and 28 after 5yrs service (plus bank holidays)
- Life assurance
- Private medical insurance
- Health screening
- Pension scheme
- Bonus scheme
- Flexible working hours in a modern office environment / Working from Home Policy
- Excellent development and progression opportunities for the right candidate
- Company Social events
Plus a whole range of other employee benefits that we can tell you all about, our employees are rewarded for their performance, attitude and results.
We are committed to providing equal opportunities in employment and treating people fairly. We will treat all job applicants and employees equally regardless of age, race, religious belief, colour, ethnic or national origin, sex, marital status, sexual orientation or disability. We welcome applicants from all sectors of society and we are committed to promoting an inclusive environment for all.