By respecting the legacy of the past and understanding the needs of the East Surrey community of the present, we can realise the opportunity to deliver a pioneering vision for the future.
AN OPPORTUNITY TO CREATE A SELF SUSTAINING COMMUNITY BUILT AROUND LIFESTYLE AND WELLBEING
Carrington Green is an opportunity to deliver a new infrastructure led community of 3200 zero carbon homes. A chance to create an engaged, sustainable community, living in an environment with significant amounts of green spaces, parks, community owned shops, sporting facilities, local village greens, community allotments and community-managed woodland.
A unique chance to attract regional and international investment whilst building an inclusive community that enjoys healthier lifestyles and is ready for growth. It’s a chance to handpick the very best qualities of existing communities, as well as to observe what they lack, and to use this to shape Carrington Green. As part of the NHS England’s Healthy Town initiative, it will reflect all that Surrey has to offer; an invigorating new community where we can live and thrive for generations to come.
At a glance
- Creating a dynamic and greener living environment – 3200 zero-carbon homes
- Improved transport connectivity and major road infrastructure
- A destination of choice for investment, skills and growth, attracting business investment with new business parks creating thousands of jobs
- Investment in amenities including new sporting, healthcare and education facilities
- Gift to a community trust of shops, pubs and cafes to be run for the benefit of the community and owned by the community
- Much needed tenure blind quality affordable homes for local healthcare workers, first time buyers, downsizers and other key workers
- Substantive Investment in amenities including, roads, sporting facilities, three new schools, healthcare provision and facilities
- A sustainable community delivering a net bio-diversity gain of at least 20%
- The inclusion of wildlife-friendly features into buildings such as bird boxes, bat boxes and ‘insect hotels’ will integrate with new wildlife corridors through the new community
CREATING A MODERN, SUSTAINABLE AND HEALTHY COMMUNITY - A PLACE WHERE PEOPLE CAN LIVE, WORK AND THRIVE
- Formal parks and gardens
- Semi-natural open space
- Children and young person play spaces
- Outdoor sports provision, including formal sports pitches
- Community Trust, owned and run shops, pubs,allotments, and cafes, owned and run by the community for the community.
- Creation of new wildlife-rich habitats such as woodland and wildflower meadow
- Protection of existing wildlife habitats, such as woodland
- Benefits to species including birds, insects, fish and water voles
- Integration of wildlife-friendly features into buildings such as bird boxes, bat boxes and insect hotels
- Creation of new wildlife corridors through the site
- A place where residents can enjoy a successful-work life balance.
Zero Carbon Placemaking
Thakeham is taking industry-leading steps to combat climate change and Thakeham’s impact on the environment. Thakeham has pledged that by 2025, well in advance of government targets, every Thakeham home will be zero carbon in its production and carbon neutral in lifetime operation.
These pledges are underpinned with innovative design decisions, considered from the outset, to ensure the layout, roads and facilities all enable new communities to live full, healthy lives adhering to the NHS Healthy New Towns principles.
Our environmental strategy focuses on: Climate Change, Nature Recovery, People and Communities.
Read more on our sustainability strategy here.